Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Story Time with Worm

Some of the websites I've found on fetal development say that Worm should be able to hear right around now. I was taught that babies' ears started working closer to 20 weeks (and I should totally know right?!??) but lest we miss out on three weeks of quality time to talk to our little Worm we've begun telling it bedtime stories.

First was, "Worm and Papa Go Fishing" by Ben. He cracks me up with the details he throws in. You should know that Papa buys Worm a tiny fishing pole with Snoopy on it, that he teaches Worm to rub his* gooey fingers in the grass after putting the squirmy worm on the hook, and that Worm accidentally gets his hook stuck in a tree and Papa and Worm talk about how long it might be up there and what will someday make it come down. (I learned the difference between a bobber and a lure and that you should take the fish off the hook with a pair of pliers, which totally explains why mom, grandma and I were completely unsuccessful at getting the fish off the hook on my first...and last...fishing expedition!)

Last night was, "Worm Gets a Dirtbike" by Ben. Apparently Worm is getting a dirtbike for his fifth Christmas, and Papa is going to train him to ride it by tying a rope around it and practising using the brakes in the back yard. Priceless!

Tonight since Ben was exhausted and too tired to be creative I told the "Worm Eats Breakfast" story, in which Worm and Papa discuss philosophical questions over Cheerios (and a banana that Mama makes them eat) before Papa goes to work.

I already look forward to story time with Worm, and I hope that we will continue with the tradition long after Worm arrives and creates stories of his own...

*In our stories Worm is always a boy. I'm completely convinced that Worm is a boy, although I have absolutely no evidence to support my theory. We're not picky about the sex of the baby, and we'd be thrilled to have a little girl Worm, but until my premonition is proven incorrect Worm will most likely be referred to with masculine terms on this website. Of course, you'll all agree not to mention it if Worm turns out to be a girl and I frantically edit every post!

No comments:

Post a Comment