Saturday, February 3, 2007

The Worm Squirm

This worm is movin' folks.

The first time I felt it was on January 23rd. I had just turned 11 weeks pregnant and I was wearing pants that were particularly constricting. At first, I thought I must be imagining things, but then I felt it again...same feeling, same spot. Since that day I've experienced it several times more. Nothing terribly consistent, but always the same feeling and usually in the same area (which just happens to be the area where the midwife located the heartbeat at our first appointment a couple weeks ago.) It feels decidedly squirmy. Like there's a worm wriggling in there or a fish flopping around. It is a gross motor movement, like the kid is turning somersaults gleefully, not like an elbow or a kick.

Now, I've read and been told that women do not typically feel their babies moving until they are around 16-20 weeks pregnant. Usually closer to 16 weeks if they've had the opportunity to experience it before and later on if they are first-timers. So, perhaps I'm just a crazy lady.

Go ahead and try to convince me that it's just gas, but I'm not buying it.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sam and Ben, It's Amanda's mom, Sally. First of all, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I think it's really cool that you and Amanda are going thru your pregnancies at the same time. It's been fun reading your baby blogs. Keep your sense of humor...YOUR GOING TO NEED IT THE NEXT 18 YEARS! Seriously, it is the most important thing you will do in your life..being a mom. I don't regret one minute of being a mom.It's the best JOB I have ever had and now I get to be a GRANDMA, WHICH TAKES THE CAKE!
    aND, OH YEAH,IT'S NOT GAS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a crazy lady. I felt Gavin at 13 weeks. And I felt Elliott move after I got home from your wedding. :) It's like he *knew* you'd be a very important person in his life or something. ;) You feel the worm when you do. Screw the books! Congrats Sammers! Love ya! Miss ya!

    ReplyDelete