Monday, February 5, 2007

I'm Sorry Worm

...that your mama can't relax and just enjoy the thought of you, the possibilities of you and the amazing experiences you will bring to her life.

I'm sorry that she's too caught up in her own world and worried about what she's going to have to give up and who she's going to offend. I'm sorry that she can't even imagine a definition of herself that allows you to be the most important aspect of it, and that she sometimes acts like her life and accomplishments are more important than your well-being. I'm sorry that she's struggling with this transition from just plain Sam into somebody's mama.

I'm sorry that she feeds you M&M's and soda pop instead of vegetables and water, and that she doesn't exercise enough and that she's still trying to hide your existence from some "important" people.

I'm sorry worm...

...but I promise that her priorities are shifting. That she's starting to think more like a mama whose worm's well-being is far more important than her own accomplishments. It's just hard to shift almost 26 years of just plain Sam thoughts into the thoughts of somebody's mama.

But I promise you worm, that your mama's trying.

3 comments:

  1. You want what's best for you because it will be what's best for worm. I think you're a great mom already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam, It's amazing when the baby is born how your Mother Love instinct will kick in. Don't be too harsh on yourself, it's a normal feeling with all new moms. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will be a fabulous mom! I know I've been giving a lot of advice you didn't ask for. And I know how you hate that. But I am who I am. ;) Anyway, with Gavin (my surprise) I did what I had to do b/c I was young and didn't want to look any worse than I already did for being pregnant so young. But once he was born it really kicked in and I *felt* it. With Elliott it was different, I think partly because he was my miracle baby who never was supposed to be. Plus I had the instinct all kicked in from Gavin. That's not to say I didn't whine at the zillion shots with my pregnancy with E. Because I did. And I worried about the fact that Gavin was just starting to sleep in and those days were gone. You'll think that way and feel that way. It will change, when it's right for you. No worries.

    ReplyDelete