Friday, April 20, 2007

Surprise!

So..uh..remember how we wanted the sex of the baby to be a surprise?

Yeah...you remember.

And remember how the ultrasound tech might have had a little slip up and said "her" but maybe she just said "our" and we weren't really sure what we heard?

Yeah...you remember that too.

Well guess what?

We had a prenatal appointment today, which was pretty uneventful overall. Everything is normal and on track, except that I now weigh as much as a hippopotamus, but we won't mention that...

We were anxious to hear the report from the ultrasound, since the ultrasound tech really wasn't allowed to tell us anything juicy. So the midwife opened up our file, came and stood right next to me, and together we read through the results. Singleton, breech position, something about the placenta being in the right place...yada yada yada...head circumference measures such and such weeks, something about the brain...yada yada yada....

...and of course I was reading ahead...

"The baby's gender is female. THE COUPLE DOES NOT WISH TO KNOW THE GENDER OF THE BABY."

OH....shit!

By the time the midwife got to that section she just skipped over it and moved away from me, but I had already seen it. Then I had the enormous weight of keeping it quiet for the rest of the appointment, and of course Ben didn't have a clue, because he was sitting on the other side of the room.

So...needless to say, I'm a bit disappointed that my surprise has been so completely ruined, but since it's been ruined for us we thought we'd share the news with the rest of you.

And while we're ruining surprises...


It doesn't seem right to call a real little baby girl Worm as we have been calling the somewhat abstract child hanging out in my belly these past happy weeks. So we're saying goodbye to our little Worm and hello to little Miss Sofia Claire.

7 comments:

  1. You totally sound like me... reading ahead of what she was reading!! You left out the part about how you told Ben - I want to see a post on that too!! Oh my goodness, what a good story!! Sofia Claire is such a cute name... I'm glad you didn't keep that a surprise until she was born!! ;o) YAY for baby girls!! OH! So, now you can add lots of pinks and purples and girly stuff to your registries!! YAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's me again... you are totally on the ball... So, I went to your registry on Babies-R-Us and found pinks and purples and girly stuff!! Are you excited or what?! ;o) YAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SAMANTHA!!! Sofia is a perfect name, its beautiful. I'm sorry that your surprise got ruined, but I am SO EXCITED TO BUY GIRLIE THINGS FOR SOFIA!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. I am crying...what a dork!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sammers,
    I'm sorry your surprise was ruined, however, there will be other babies to be surprised with - you feel heaps better now right? ;) Congrats on your tiny little girl! *big hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY..a girl...GIRLS RULE! Sofie will have Ben wrapped around his pinkie! Oh that is so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOP'S...sorry Sam, I meant Sofia!

    ReplyDelete