Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Sing Like No One is Listening

Awhile back I joined a community choir. It had been nearly ten years since I had participated in any sort of organized singing and I was really feeling the itch. I was so excited to learn that a neighboring community had a choir already in place and it wasn't long before I attended my first practice and adopted the choir as my own. Nevermind that I am the youngest member by at least twenty years. That just adds to the charm!

We practice on Monday night for a couple of hours and Ben spends the evening taking over the bedtime routine with the kids. He's not that excited about that part, especially after a long day of work, but I think it's good for him and I know it's good for me to get out and do something for myself on a regular basis. Last night we met at a local church where we will have a concert this Saturday and sang through our concert program. This morning Sofie spotted my music and I volunteered to sing it for her. She was more than happy to participate as my audience and even chimed in a few times. After I finished singing through everything (eight songs) I turned to Sofie and said, "Which song was your favorite?" She thought for a moment and then said, "Um...the tire one." Puzzled I flipped through my music until it clicked and I burst into laughter. I can only assume that she was referring to Ezekiel Saw the Wheel.



(In case you can't see the embedded video: click here)

Music is such a wonderful accompaniment to life. My most joyful day to day moments always seem to be singing or dancing with the kids. Take some time to enjoy music in your life today...you can thank me later!

P.S. If you're in the area you're welcome to come see the choir sing on Saturday night. It's sure to be a rowdy time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment