Friday, April 9, 2010

Mama Milk

Sofie, at two years and seven months, is still nursing. You'd probably never know it if you didn't ask us about it directly or perhaps you'd suspect something if you overheard her asking me for some "cow milk" or saying to me, "I wanna murse." Sofie typically nurses twice a day, before her nap and before bedtime. It's part of a winding down routine that we've participated in for as long as I can remember. Lately we've been having some conversations about stopping, but honestly she is quite opposed to the idea and even the mention of it brings out some babyish behavior in her, almost a defiant statement that she is NOT getting too big thank you very much. I always had intentions of nursing my children for two years, mainly because all of the research regarding the benefits of nursing have shown that they continue throughout the first two years of life, but I never really thought about what quitting would look like. Lately, I've been asking myself why I feel compelled to stop and I can't seem to come up with any reasonable answers. Certainly I've heard plenty of people express their distaste with, or maybe it's just their discomfort with the idea of, nursing a child once that child can actually speak and voice its desire to do so. I have to admit that the disapproval of others does register, and sometimes even stings, but I'm finding that I'm caring less and less about what anyone thinks about the matter. My daughter wants to nurse. I am capable and willing. She is thriving. That is all...

Oh, and here is an interesting article on the subject: http://www.kathydettwyler.org/detwean.html

1 comment:

  1. Sam, I come from a La Leche League mom. My mother was a passionate breastfeeder. I was breastfed past the age of 3 and then stopped on my own. Unusual in 1981, to say the least. I am proud of my mom and you. My mom was also a proponent of the family bed. I think she was ahead of her time!

    ReplyDelete