Thursday, December 3, 2009

O Christmas Tree

We put up our sad little Christmas tree (which I secretly love) tonight. This was the first year that Sofie was really able to participate in the trimming, hence:

In case you're unsure of what you're seeing here, it is no less than ten tree ornaments all hung on the same two bottom most branches. Now, those of you who know me well will not be surprised when I admit that I am a wee bit anal about some pretty silly things like, oh I don't know, ornament spacing? But every time I look at those poor sagging branches I have to stifle a giggle and so there will be absolutely no rearranging while my sweet unsuspecting little girl sleeps.

I'm not particularly fond of decorating the Christmas tree but one of my favorite things to do every year is pull out all the Christmas ornaments and reminisce. I've been collecting ornaments for awhile now, picking one out each time we visit some place new, and almost every ornament has some sort of story or special significance behind it. I'm really looking forward to the days when I can bore the kids with all my tales :) This year the most poignant ones for me were all Vance family-centric. The small collection we've got going from my niece and nephew, beginning with Lillie's tiny baby hand print from '04. The log cabin ornament Janna gave me on my birthday when we were vacationing in Colorado the year I was pregnant with Sofie, and the one from Mohican Lodge I got last year when we all stayed there for Kyle and DeAnna's wedding. I suppose I'm missing the crew this holiday season more than I had realized. I feel very lucky to be near so much of our extended family and to firmly look forward to the days when we get to reunite with those who are far in miles, but always nearby in our thoughts and memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment