Monday, July 21, 2008

Late Breaking News...

Bear with me here...this is what becomes "prime time" news when your daily conversational partner's vocabulary is limited to, "Hi! Eye! Yuck! Hot! Yes! Bye-bye! No!" and the sign for milk...

We are all too quickly approaching Worm's first birthday. Everyone knows that one of the best parts of being a parent is picking out toys for yourself er...for your kid I mean. So I have been daydreaming about what to give Sofia for birthday number one for quite some time. On the top of my list is a baby doll. I am quite excited over the prospect of picking out Sofia's first doll, and I have been embarrassingly nervous for months now that someone might give her one as a gift and take away what I view as a very special rite. Lately I've spent more time than I'm willing to divulge browsing the Internets for the perfect doll.

...and here she is...

Kathe Kruse Kikou Sina Doll

She has the perfect soft weighted body, sweet face, and fun outfit. Unfortunately, she also comes with an exorbitant price tag. One that I can't seem to justify paying. Not even for a super-special first baby doll:(

So...I have been trying to find a reasonable alternative. Somehow everything else is paling in comparison, but here are the distant runners-up...

Middleton PlayBabies Little Hailey

Corolle Calin Laughing Raspberry Doll

What do you think?!

And just for kicks, Baby Bobbie, on this page, was my first baby doll!

6 comments:

  1. Holy hey! I didn't realize that dolls that you actually play with were so expensive!!!! For what it's worth, I think the runners-up are adorable.

    So what are the big first birthday plans?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This might sound silly coming from me who likes to be frugal and knowing your position buuuuttt...I think if you really love the expensive one to get it=) I don't know why, it just seems like there are some things are that important. That being said- whenever I want to get someone something that is more than I want to pay I usually ask family members if they want to go in on it with me and usually they say yes because then they don't have to think of what to get that person. And if you want, I can be that go-in person since I don't know yet what I want to get her- just let me know because I would love to get her what you want her to have =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea!! My sister has been wanting to get Brynn a Cabbage Patch Doll because everyone says Brynn looks like one. Well, if you go on their website, there are HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of them. I searched for hours to try to find one that looks exactly like her and finally did. However, we have to wait until Bri comes to visit in August to post a picture! You can personalize the name on the birth certificate and everything. It was about $45 total. We have to get Brynn another one though because I don't want her to play with this one. (Her name is Brynn Maye West and she's staying in the box!!) ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and also I am so happy that she is still saying yuck

    ReplyDelete
  5. You already know what I'm going to say. Get the Kathe Kruse for goodness sakes! Did you know I deliberated the same exact thing for weeks and months??? It was later though, not when L turned 1. But I did buy her a Kathe Kruse in the end... have you checked eBay? That's where I got ours! It's this one: http://www.ape2zebra.ca/kathe-kruse-waldorf-winter-child-doll.asp

    I must put a disclaimer here, however, Lillian is not as super-thrilled with the doll as I though she would be, but she does like it. I'm still holding out hope that she will grow into loving it more and more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I also wanted to say that we've had a lot fun making our own clothes (and a mermaid costume) for our KK doll and it's so rewarding to put those clothes on a really nice doll! :)

    ReplyDelete