Thursday, January 31, 2008

Five Months


Sofie-bean, I've been feeling like an awful excuse for a mama this week. Mostly because you turned five months old on Monday, and I haven't found a spare moment to sit down and write to you until now. I've been compiling tidbits to write about in my head and crossing my fingers that I'd remember them all when I finally got a chance to write them down...here goes:

You are getting to be such a big girl. You are out of your 6-9 month clothes now, and fitting quite well into 9-12 months, mostly because of your long legs. I went out and bought you some footie-less things in an attempt to lengthen the life that you get out of an outfit...wishful thinking! You sit on my hip when I carry you now, which makes lugging you around just a bit easier and reminds me that you're not a wee baby anymore. You're getting pretty good at sitting up on your own too. We've been practicing a bit everyday. One day we noticed that if we sat you up in the glider rocker it would counterbalance you when you wriggled and you could sit up in it for long periods of time. It has been an excellent tool to help you gain control over your body without the frustration of falling over all the time!

You have developed such a goofy sense of humor. The other day you were sitting on my lap facing me with your legs dangling down on either side, and you were launching yourself backwards squealing and giggling as if you were on a roller-coaster. You've also started to "flirt" with me when I get home from work and you're nursing. You'll make a little peep so I'll look down at you, and then you'll grin. You do it over and over and over again, and we've started to make a game out of it. You always have me cracking up! You think it's hilarious when grandma or I dance (and to your credit, it probably is!) You love it when we clap our hands or snap our fingers. You're also a huge fan of patty-cake; your favorite part is popping it in the pan.

You've taken an intense interest in your toys this month and you really take the time to inspect them now. Your favorite toy is your lullaby gloworm (appropriate!) and you get a dazy smile on your face and gaze at it each time it's face lights up and it plays you a tune. You crack me up when you play with the piano on your jumpy toy. Your excited flailing arms will punch a button and it will start to play, lights flashing along to the tune, and you will bend down low and hold your face two inches away from it as you watch the lights so intently. You like to inspect your face in your little mirror in the same way...what a narcissistic little worm!

Wormy this month has flown by so quickly it makes me catch my breath and wish for time to stand still. These days there isn't time to let things sink in before something else has come along. I am anxiously counting down days (5 months!) until I can be with you as much as a mama should be. You should know, though, that I'm watching you, loving you, thinking about you constantly even when I'm not able to be present. You are my core, my center, my ground...you are everything.


3 comments:

  1. I bet she's not gonna be quite so happy about these pictures in about 10 years....just kidding. You are such a good mom, Sam-the way that you describe her and her likes and dislikes someone reading this blog for the first time would never know you weren't a full time stay at home mom! I mean, unless they read the parts about you working...but you know what I mean =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great smile!!! Holy moly she's getting so big and I'm amazed that she's out of her 6-9 month clothes already!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. We just got Brynn a Glo-Worm tonight!! We tried to find her one at Christmas but everyone was sold out!!

    ReplyDelete